, ,

Thoughts on: Poverty


"There are people in the world so hungry that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread." - Mahatma Ghandi

When I went the motherland Ghana last year, there was this one question was lingering in my mind. It was wonderful seeing family members and loved ones (in Africa, the extended family is way too large for me to know, who was actually in my family, but it didn't matter anyways lol). It was wonderful to enjoy the nature, the sun, the nation. But there was still a daunting issue. A question I asked to myself, actually. 


How is it possible that earth is one planet, but there are different worlds within it?

View on Lake Volta from the Akosombo Dam


Lake Volta - the largest man-made lake in the world

The office and residence of the president of the republic of Ghana


The pacific and one of the several malls in the capital city Accra



Some images I took of tourist attractions in Ghana.
Ghana has improved in many ways. New streets were built, many new investors came to the country, the international airport was is still extended. Overall, it seems as if Ghana is really developing to a nice place to live.

Bompata - Ghana - The village my parents grew up in - The only paved street








This is the village my parents grew up in and below the family house of my mother. A small village with one street leading to the next small village. A house which you ought not compare with what we call housing in this western world. Back to the question raised in the beginning. 

I realized that disparity between the tourist attractions, the capital city, places that are to be proudly displayed and the villages, poverty, the reality for the majority of Ghanaians can be seen in a larger picture. What I experienced is a comprised picture of the situation of this world. While I live in Germany and my largest issue is to contemplate about which sneaker to buy next, some thousand kilometres south, others are concerned about what to eat today, how to get out of the struggles of poverty. We are living in completely different worlds, though on one planet. This is absurd. 

Some of the kids that are either living in the house or somewhere in the neighborhood (I really don't know lol)


Think about it. Of course the youth are having smartphones and also an internet connection. They see how we live here on their screens, then look up to see the triste reality around them. "What is my future going to look like", is what they ask themselves. "Will I forever stay in this village, with nothing to see and no prospect of  living an other life than my parents and grandparents?"


My grandma told us that the young people are all moving out of the village into the city, either Kumasi or Accra, but their hopes are soon crushed and they end up selling pure water on the street. The result: Failure, instead of the life hoped for. But honestly, what are they supposed to do? When we were there I told my brother: "The two weeks we are staying here are more than enough for me." I know, I wouldn't be able to live in Bompata for the rest of my life. I would go to the city as well, probably try to make my way illegally into Europe.


However, truth be told, it also occured to me I could be one of these kids. And I mean it is not an unrealistic thought. In fact, if my parents would not have emigrated to Germany, this is the place were I would be. This is why I try to live my life in awareness of this. I try not to complain about every small issue, which I encounter. Everytime kids come up to me to complain about how they hate school, everytime people rage because the train is not on time, I think about children, who can not even attend school, due to unaffordable school fees. 
I think about the fact that there is no public transportation system in Ghana. 
I think about where I would have been, if not here. 
 
What would she be if she was in Germany?
Would one of them be running a blog?


I loved the kids in Bompata, though. They were so funny and full of energy. At the same time they were diligent and always helping in the household. I think kids here could learn something from them. Their enthusiasm let me know that wealth is not everything. You can live in one of the wealthiest states like Germany and be depressed or unhappy with life. This world is not fair, but at the end of the day we should to be thankful for what we have, rather than focus on what we do not possess. 

Yet, the fight against poverty must not cease.

And after all, keep in mind:


"The rich and the poor meet together; the Lord is the maker of them all."
Proverbs 22:2

I thank God for my life and where I am at.
Stay tuned.




You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare

Powered by Blogger.

Twitter