, ,

Gap Years





This sentence is so important, therefore I'm going to caps lock it.  

NEVER TAKE A GAP YEAR DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

As you may or may not know, I completed school in June 2015. Check the calendar. It's March 2016. After school, I went to the motherland Ghana for about a month (more on that later), came back and then I started to work, but this was not a full-time job, so it did not fill my whole time. Anyways, I found myself increasingly sleeping up to 12/13 hours and taking my breakfast by the time my siblings were returning from school. Since my contract only lasted until February of this year, I am actually doing nothing right now, apart from going to the driving school every once in a while. I tell you guys, it is horrible.

Did I love it at first? Oh damn yeah. Think about it, after 12 years of waking up around 6am in the morning, concentrating in school, coming back and going to track practice, eating, sleeping and repeating, I now had the always desired freedom to do whatever I want with my life. I loved every second of it. For a couple of months.

Then I realized, the more unproductive you become, the more you are somehow losing a spot in the society. The last years, when I woke up, I had a purpose for waking up. Somewhere to go. Something to do. A task to fulfill in society, that was being a student. Today, when I wake up, I just lie in bed. BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING TO DO. Nowhere to be, nowhere to go, nothing to do. I do not contribute to society, thus I have no role in this society. I wouldn't say I feel like an outcast, but I do feel a bit of resentment at the unemployed life. Fortunately, I found my place of study and will start going to University in September of this year.

Until then however, every application you write is taking the companies forever to answer, even if it is just for a part-time job. It's frustrating. What I am just trying to say is that I am not actually in need for a job, since I'm going to study soon. But what about the people, who really NEED a part-time job, to ensure an income for them and their families? Is this the way they are treated? Is it this hard to find a job? And I won't even start talking about my experience with the job center.  

Life is tough.

Wish you all the best,
The African Dude

You Might Also Like

1 Kommentare

  1. I actually thought of taking a gap year myself after I finished college. I ended up having a two months break before taking a job full-time. Even those two months made me feel so uninspired since I have nothing concrete to do for the day, can't imagine doing it for a year. So, yes, I totally agree on not taking a gap year just to be really chill and unproductive.

    Love, Richel. | Richel Goes Places

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Twitter